THE PATH FROM THE CAR PARK

Point Impossible, Victoria, Australia

Thursday 23 October 2014

Today's image is of the wonderful beach at Point Impossible early in the morning. The path from the car park leads down to the sand past some of the indigenous grasses and bushes that line this part of the Victorian coastline. (1113)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


A DISTANT MEMORY

Ocean Grove, Victoria, Australia

Wednesday 22 October 2014

We have had a few very warm days down here in the south of Australia with summer fast approaching. Beaches all around Geelong will soon be crowded with swimmers and sun worshipers and images like this one will be a distant memory until the temperatures begin to drop next autumn. (1112)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


DECIDED TO HAVE A GO AT ME

13th Beach, Victoria, Australia

Tuesday 21 October 2014

I was lucky to capture this image just as the sea decided to have a go at me. I love the contrast between the stationery flat rock stack and the moving water wrapping around the rock as the wave advanced. Luckily I had the shot in the can and was racing backwards up the beach before it got me! (1111)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


FROM AN ANGLE

Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Monday 20 October 2014

The Geelong Water Front has a number of iconic buildings, the most prominent being Cunningham Pier with the restaurant at the end. It has been photographed to death, and I'm adding yet another to the collection today, but from an angle I haven't seen before. (1110)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


SO DISAPPOINTED

Dunkeld, Victoria, Australia

Sunday 19 October 2014

I was so disappointed when I visited the Dunkeld Railway Station a few weekend ago and found the building totally abandoned and windows broken. I guess it is a sign of the times with many of our rural railway stations no longer used and being replaced by buses & road freight. Fifty years ago this building would have been manned by a station master and possibly one or two staff and the local community would have relied on it for passenger and freight access. (1109)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS

Urquhart Bluff, Victoria, Australia

Saturday 18 October 2014

This is another shot from my Urquhart Bluff 'expedition' in which I was lucky to score multiple sun bursts. I've been asked if I artificially create these sun or star bursts, and I'm happy to say that they are straight out of the camera. When shooting at an aperture of f/22 star bursts are very common and I think add a bit of interest to the image. I have been told by a follower that star bursts are 'over used these days' but my answer to him was that these type of images result in the most likes or plusses, so people must enjoy them. In any case, I certainly like them and that is all that matters (see Brian Mataish's blog http://brianmatiash.com/2014/08/23/create/ where he makes this point eloquently). (1108)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


IN AMONGST THE SALT BUSHES

Avalon Beach, Victoria, Australia

Friday 17 October 2014

Just behind the isolated town of Avalon Beach there are a number of small salt lakes. While walking amongst the salt bushes I noticed how they almost glowed in the warm early morning light, and while this scene isn't all that spectacular, I did love the feel of it. (1107)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


TECHNICALLY, IS IT CALLED FISHING?

Queens Park, Victoria, Australia

Thursday 16 October 2014

Today's photo has only one pesky fisherman in frame, there was nothing I could do about it. He was sitting on the small landing overlooking a bend in the beautiful Barwon River and I suspect was enjoying the tranquillity of the location more than fishing ... actually I don't know if it is technically called fishing if you don't catch anything, is it? (1106)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


TRYING TO WARN SHIPS

Point Lonsdale, Victoria, Australia

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Many photos have been taken of this lighthouse, mostly from the other side and into a setting sun. One doesn't always have the luxury of being at a location at the right time of the day, so I try to find a different or interesting view and shoot it from that angle. I'm not sure if I have achieved it this time, but I do like this side of the Point Lonsdale lighthouse with some of the rugged rocks it is trying to warn ships of. (1105)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


THE TREE OF WISDOM

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Tuesday 14 October 2014

Not really the Tree of Wisdom, but it does stand outside the Victorian State Library. I was impressed by the massive spread of it's branches and with the lighting underneath, and even though this shot was taken very early in the morning, the spot lights made it looked like it could have been taken in the middle of the day. (1104)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


NOTHING IS FOREVER

Urquhart Bluff, Victoria, Australia

Monday 13 October 2014

How wonderful are these rocks at Urquhart Bluff? The colourful layers of sediment that were built up over millions of years are now being exposed and eroding away over possibly another million years. It is a constant reminder that nothing is forever. (1103)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


AND THIS I DO LIKE, A LOT

Queenscliff, Victoria, Australia

Sunday 12 October 2014

This is what happens when one goes out to take photos and the cloud cover doesn't let the sunrise come through. Just one little peek of orange where the sun is meant to be and that was it! But I did get some slow shutter action happening making the waves appear to be soft and moving and this I do like, a lot. (1102)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


LIFE DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS

Urquhart Bluff, Victoria, Australia

Sunday 12 October 2014

What a lovely morning today, it is Sunday, the weather is beautiful, the sunrise was spectacular and it's 'Bathurst Day' (Australian's know what this is!). I took a quick drive out to Urquhart Bluff and captured a number of images, including this one. A stop in Anglesea on the way back to have some bacon & eggs and a coffee and back home in time to see the start of the great race on TV. Life doesn't get any better than this. (1101)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


LEISURE PURSUITS

Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia

Saturday 11 October 2014

The end of another perfect day in paradise! The amazing waterways, both natural and man made provide many of the properties on the Gold Coast with waterfront access, including some with their own private piers, and of course boats. What a life, being able to walk out the front door and take your boat for a spot of fishing or other leisure pursuits. (1100)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


SLIDES WONDERFULLY

Ocean Grove, Victoria, Australia

Thursday 9 October 2014

The sun slides wonderfully across these flat rocks at the Ocean Grove beach. I never get sick of looking at these type of images, so I hope you don't either! (1099)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


THE CROOKED BOARDWALK

Franklin, Tasmania, Australia

Wednesday 8 October 2014

This crooked boardwalk runs alongside the Huon River in the south of Tasmania. On the day I visited this area the river was very smooth and provided great reflections of the moored boats and the surrounding hills. (1098)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


NOT JUST ONE OR TWO PESKY FISHERMEN

Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Where I live there are some of the most pristine beaches, rough and diverse so it came as a bit of a surprise to visit Surfers Paradise beach which is so straight and edged by high rise buildings as far as the eye can see. This is completely at odds with the natural scenery I love to shoot with hundreds of people in view, not just the one or two pesky fishermen that I normally encounter. (1097)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


YOU HAVE TO BE QUICK OR YOU CAN MISS IT!

Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia

Monday 6 October 2014

After a full day of sitting inside listening to speakers at the conference I am attending, I was able to take a quick walk from my hotel to the beach at 'Surfers' to take a photo or two, but the better scene came when I was walking back across this small bridge as the sun was setting. I'm not used to the conditions up here and found that the sun set rapidly, presumably because of being so far north. You have to be quick or you can miss it! (1096)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


SHORTS AND TEE SHIRT TEMPERATURE

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Sunday 5 October 2014

I have just arrived on the Gold Coast for a conference and this is the view from my hotel room on the 17th floor ... not bad! Having travelled from the cold weather down south, the blue sky coupled with the shorts and tee shirt temperature up here make a welcome change. Hoping that I get a few spare moments over the next 4 days to take a photo or two of this part of the world. (1095)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


IN STARK CONTRAST

Queenscliff, Victoria, Australia

Saturday 4 October 2014

The viewing tower at the newly renovated Queenscliff marina stands in stark contrast in this historic township. The tower gives a great 360 degree view of the area and much of the surrounding coast and overlooks the Queenscliff to Sorrento ferry terminal from where you can take a 45 minute 'overseas trip' to the other side of the bay. I loved the reflections of the tower in the wet roadway so thought I would show you too! (1094)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


THE DILEMMA

Queenscliff, Victoria, Australia

Friday 3 October 2014

I was up early this morning and on the road by 5:15am for the 40 minute drive to Queenscliff. I had checked the rainfall prediction (guess) on my phone the night before and it said that there was a 11% chance of rain, so I surmised that this meant a 89% chance that it wouldn't! Half way to my photographic destination 11% became 100% and I faced the dilemma ... to keep going, or go home to my warm bed. I figured that it surely couldn't keep raining so I drove on into the darkness, willing the precipitation to stop. I arrived at the iconic Queenscliff pier with light drizzle still causing my windscreen wipers to activate but the sky looked promising. I began to walk out to the end of the pier when it bucked down again. You know it is bad when the fishermen were sheltering in the historic building on the pier! Eventually my willing worked and there was a break in the bad weather that allowed for a few good images to be captured. Note to self .... 11% means 100%. (1093)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


THE ORGANISED CLUTTER

Franklin, Tasmania, Australia

Thursday 2 October 2014

I loved the Wooden Boat Centre in southern Tasmania. I think it was the traditional craftsmanship that was being taught to a new generation of boat builders, or perhaps the beautiful golden timbers, or it could have even been the organised clutter of a wonderful workshop. Either way, I would recommend a visit to the Centre to see how they make these traditional boats. (1092)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase


SUNRISE OVER CUNNINGHAM PIER

Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Geelong's waterfront has some very interesting aspects, including this small grass covered mound that provides a great foreground interest for my image of the early morning sunrise over Cunningham Pier. (1091)

Click photo to enlarge or purchase